After a month-long hiatus (that totally wasn't a hiatus, more of an inability to focus and get anything done until I realised "Oh crap, it's been like a month, I better do something!"), we are back!
Phew, it's been a while! Look, not much to say on this recipe, apart from the fact that it came from a popular weight loss cookbook before I changed a few things. Pork neck is not the fattiest of cuts (certainly not when compared to pork belly, for instance) but it benefits greatly from a slow cook like it gets here. The actual pulling of the pulled pork was a bit tricky - I probably should have used a bigger bowl.
Also, I had trouble coming up with a synonym for "shred" to use at I tore up the pork with forks. I put out the word on Twitter, and received much help, but the suggestion that got my attention prompted this exchange:
And thus I got a name for this episode.
Le Tigre - I'm So Excited, from "This Island", 2004
Franz Ferdinand - What You Waiting For?, from "Best of 86/06", which came with Q Magazine May 2006
The xx - Teardrops, from "The xx [Bonus Disc Edition]", 2008
Alright guys, I will admit: musically, I hit a wall this episode. I cycled through the usual suspects, but none of them felt right. So I threw the question out to Joel (@gingerexplosion), a friend and resident fellow music nerd. He suggested a whole bunch of absolutely beautiful, moving, and haunting covers by Mark Kozelek of Modest Mouse & AC/DC songs, and M. Ward's cover of Bowie's Let's Dance. I couldn't use Let's Dance, as I used the Futureheads' version before. The other went directly into my playlists of choice, but didn't fit with the fast-paced nature of the video. It was Joel's feline companion & all-around cool person Anni (@annisugar) who suddenly suggested El Tigre's cover of the unsinkable Pointer Sisters track, which fit nicely with all the fast motion. I threw in Franz Ferdiand's utterly silly Gwen Stefani cover (complete with break-into-White-Wedding moment), and tacked on another of Joel's suggestions, The xx's version of Womack & Womack's "Teardrops" and voila! Crowdsourced creativity.
Buzzsaw Pork Ragu
serves 6, or 4 hungry folk
900g of pork neck, in 1 piece
1 brown onion
2 carrots (I used purple, but orange is okay)
2 cloves garlic
1 400g tin diced tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander seed
1 tsp cumin
rice, to serve
fresh coriander, to serve
lime wedges, to serve
- Get a great big pan (that has a lid) on medium heat with some oil. When the oil is hot, drop in your bit of pork. make sure every side gets a turn over 5 minutes or so.
- Lobotomise and chop your capsicum, peel and chop your onion, crush, peel and chop your garlic, and peel and chop your carrots. No need to be fiddly about it, either.
- When the pork is seared on all sides, take it out of the pan and immediately drop in the vegetables. Don't you dare clean the pan, either. Let the veg cook in the pork oil for 5 minutes.
- Add all your spices and mix it all together.
- Put the pork back on top of the veg, and pour over the tomatoes.
- Add the stock cube, and 500mL of water.
- Bring the whole mess to a boil, then reduce the heat down to medium low and cover for an hour.
- After that hour, take off the lid and let it keep doing its thing for another 45 minutes.
- Use tongs to fish out the pork onto a cutting board. Get two forks and shred that sucker into little bits. Use a knife for any stubborn pieces.
- Taste the sauce, and add salt & pepper (it'll need it).
- Return the pork shreds to the pan, mix it all together.
- Serve on a bed of rice, with fresh coriander sprinkled over & lime wedges on the side.
- Seize, and consume!